Thursday, April 2, 2009

Feeling Cheated!


So here I am sitting at a beach café sipping some mild beer and gazing at my Laptop screen and wondering what to type. I was working on this project which I called Feeling Cheated! It is about Infidelity. I interviewed a lot of my friends who I knew have extra marital affairs and as for me every individual I meet is a specimen.

I was working on portraying a couple and writing about them. So I start writing and then stopped. Just can’t get words to begin, either the beer was too flat or my specimens were not effective. The writer in me was hiding away or may be it was not willing to come out. I am cursing myself and hitting my head to write.

And suddenly out of no where I see a beautiful lady somewhere in her late 30s walking in and sitting at a table next to me. She had nice long curl hair which would fall flat on her back. She definitely belonged to a good family. I kept wondering to myself, “My Gosh! Someone who marries her would be the luckiest man on earth. She was definitely someone who demanded to be shown off to your friends and be the best thing in your hand. Other than phone for sure… The priced possession!

So I suddenly realize it is bad to stare at a person I mean off course I won’t want to give her a wrong impression or something. But beauty no matter of what form, sex or kind it demands admiration and I won’t think twice before I admit. I admired her beauty. So there I am lighting a smoke for myself and trying to fit her in my story. I glanced at her again and saw something which I didn’t fairly notice in the first go.

Her eyes! No doubt she was sad. Her face didn’t have a glow or charm. She had a pale face and for sure eyes which demand sleep. It seemed she had been sleepless for a long time. And there came an opportunity to talk to her. While I lit my cigarette she took a cigarette for herself and was desperately searching for a lighter.

Without missing this opportunity to know my actor, I asked her “Would you like to share a light?” She glanced at me and in the saddest of tone without a smile said “Thank you!” I saw her face real close this time and I couldn’t help asking, “I’m sorry I must admit I have been staring at you for quite sometime. I am a writer by profession and I am working on topic, let’s say doing a research. I can’t help asking you this, but is everything alright with you?”

Without a breath or voice she started crying. Now for a fact I was sure that nothing I said was offensive and something which might have provoked her to cry. I shifted my seat and held her hand and asked, “Sorry Lady! Are you alright? I didn’t mean to offend you in any way.” Sobbing and trying to clear her throat she said, “You could see the pain my eyes and my Love who has been with me for over 14 years can’t see it anymore. There were times wherein my silence would alert him and now even if I scream in pain it doesn’t matter.” I could not help but probing a little more. I did finally found my specimen, my ideal couple for my last sequel on Infidelity. So here I am asking her the story which has turned her in to a zombie.

Natasha my admiringly charming lady was married to Rohit for 7 years. It was a love marriage but before that the courtship period went on for 7 years. There was not a single day in their life which they spent apart. There was not a single moment when they did not communicate. Well after marriage there were some changes as the responsibilities of the whole family came in to picture. Rohit had less of Natasha and when she needed Rohit he was always at work or a meeting or a conference or may be sleeping.

There were times when weekends were the busiest as he would go to his friends or go golfing or arrange for a private party. Natasha utilized all her energy in being a good wife a good mother and a good daughter-in-law. She did not leave a single stone unturned to figure out what would make the family happy. She gave up her career to take care of the house and Rohit’s needs. She gave up her outings with friends to take care of the Kid’s needs. Now what else was left?

She gave up on so many things that she forgot she was the only one left now. After handling so many challenges at home and still not being able to meet husband’s basic demands was killing her from within. She thought of making up to him one day. She planned the family trip for a gathering very well. As they left the house and reached half way to the venue she complained of headache and opted out of the ceremony willing to go home.

She catches a taxi and heads off home. All the while she is thinking of the time they would be able to spend together. The passion which had been dead for over years would finally rise up. She slowly steps in to the house and walks towards her bedroom thinking her Husband’s asleep.

Asleep for sure but with someone else, no one but her own best friend! Shocked as though she had seen a ghost and surprised to have seen her 14 year long relation dissolve like salt in water she stood there. She turns around and walks out of the house never to have returned there. She is still alone and not even thinking of the kid neither her family. She still cries and says, “I felt so cheated!”

No comments:

Post a Comment